Sunday, February 12, 2012

#31: Uchi...a learning experience

I just reviewed my eating experience at Uchi on Yelp.

I don't know what I was expecting to get out of it. Perhaps I came in with an already biased opinion because of how many people rave about it and how my flavor palette doesn't always agree with that of the general public.

I could rely on the ingredients being high quality. I could also count on them wanting me to eat a bunch of things at once to achieve a kind of flavor bouquet. Pork belly, because pork belly is trendy.

For a moment, I just came to the conclusion that I didn't like Japanese food as much as other kinds, after all, I'm Filipino (Bataan Death March people!!), I like Korean, Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese food - so either SE Asian food or food from countries disposed to hating the Japanese. One thing that sticks out from this assumption is my liking of Niki's Tokyo Inn in San Antonio, TX. It's hole in the wall and very traditional.

Sushi had an original concept. It was fast food originally and in modern times, it's gone on steroids. Most of the time it feels like something you have to wait a long time for and pay a lot more for since it's gone over a crazy American makeover.

No comments:

Post a Comment