Saturday, January 30, 2010

#6 Ho! Wheat Starch

One awesome thing about the size of Austin is the variety of Asian grocery stores all within 20 minutes of each other. Needing to get some special ingredients for some sweet potato dumplings, I headed out early in the morning for the mega MT Supermarket. Since it's the largest market in central Texas, I figured it would be one stop shopping, right? WRONG!!! Despite the varieties of starch they had, they were missing my bloody wheat starch! One good thing to know is that when ingredients are that difficult, you have to even further specialize the market. What do I mean by that? Contrary to popular opinion, Asian is not another word for Chinese and my friend told me the MT Market is run by Vietnamese, if you get my drift. A little north of my place is a Japanese market: Asahi Imports I wouldn't go there looking for Chinese ingredients. Further north is a Korean market that probably couldn't offer me help as I am not familiar with the need for wheat starch in Korean cooking (or Korean cooking for that matter). I have to go for the hardcore stuff, and there's only one market I know that also happens to supply the most hardcore Chinese restaurant I know and that's Asia Market. While I can't declare it the only place in Austin that carries wheat starch, it's the only place I know of that definitely sells wheat starch. The cafe is now next to the market instead of inside. Go there and have some eggplant. As for the market - try the sesame seed balls and the crispy chicken dumplings, they make life nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment