Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#10: MT Supermarket saves the day!

I had an appointment today in an area very close to the Chinatown area of Austin. After my appointment, I decided to go to the MT Supermarket to get some cake - which, unfortunately, they didn't have. I decided to go looking for pandan extract for my buns.

You know, you should never assume that other cultures are vastly different from your own. I finally found the rack that said "pandan extract" on the pricing, but I couldn't find anything that looking like it might be it. I don't understand Indonesian and I assumed a bottle that said "vaneli" to be the pandan extract based on the smell. Only later did it occur to me that it was surrounded by vanilla extract and that pandan extract is mainly known by the name pandan. Sigh. Well, just when I was ready to go, I decided to look around the cash registers because unlike regular impulse buy sections, oriental markets have a bunch of weird stuff there - lo and behold, my madness worked and I found my pandan extract.


Of course I wasn't brilliant enough to think that the bottles were not sold in packs of 6.


So I ended up buying 5 bottles more than I needed due to sheer ignorance. Anyone interested in a bottle of pandan extract? $2 per bottle +s/h. Among other cool things I found:


Yes. Octopus flavored chips. They're awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment