Monday, February 15, 2010

#9: Hot and Spicy Pickles

Happy Valentines Day! Happy Lunar New Years! I've been in San Antonio lately as is the tradition with my family during the Lunar New Year. I would've liked to do a piece on things to do in Austin during the Lunar New Year, but that will probably never be the case. Picking up off this, Chinese cuisine, as experienced by my family has this strong, but not quite excessive, focus on crazy flavor combination. As such, it takes an experienced and open palate to appreciate hot and spicy pickles.

For future reference, whenever my friend and I end up at Phil's Icehouse our new approach towards narrowing down the menu has come to: look for hot and spicy pickles.

Like many things in life, greatness is in the details. Before, I would look for well seasoned meat, meat that could stand alone. In retrospect, even the best meat patty never stopped me from smothering it with ketchup and mustard - there's not much point in searching for meat that stands alone if I refuse to let it, it's like going to the best sushi place in town only to cover the work with a disrespectful amount of soy sauce.

The thing about pickles, dill pickles in particular, is that they're already a little sweet and a little sour to begin with. When you add hot and spicy to that mix, your taste buds go crazy and have a fiesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment