Sunday, April 11, 2010

#17: Chicken Tortilla Soup

So, this isn't a critique of any place in particular. I'm sure that Austin Java is a place that most people have been to and enjoyed to some degree...oh fine, I'll make it a critique.

I suppose we don't think twice about the places we constantly go back to, the fall back, the plan b. Well, I'll give some homage to Austin Java today. They have really good deserts. Normally, I feel iffy about 3 different flavors in a cupcake, but pumpkin, chocolate, and cream cheese go together awesomely! Austin Java also has a very awesome Eggs Benedict. I think their pasta dishes are good, though a little overpriced, but anyway, the main point: I make a better chicken tortilla soup!

My Pumpkin told me so after he had tried their soup: "Ugh! I shouldn't have gotten this, the one you make is a lot better!"

Now, this took me by surprise because I didn't even know that he ordered the soup because I was busy giving my little sister a hard time about my paying for her food. Anyway, upon asking why, Pumpkin responded that theirs was kind of thick and spicy...and then just said that mine was better :) Now, I've had my fair share of chicken tortilla soup, the thinner ones and the really really thick ones (Twin Sister's, San Antonio TX) and I must say that anything in between just doesn't taste as good as one of the extremes.

One of the best tortilla soups is Don Pedro's in San Antonio, TX. The soup is thinner and it has avocado floating on the top when you open it - seriously - nothing is better. My recipe was based off of this soup and really it was a sort of crack recipe that I put together really fast, so - to not leave my Austin folk hanging - here's my tortilla soup:

Fast & Dirty Chicken Tortilla Soup:

(in the pot)
1.25 - 2lbs chicken (amount is a matter of preference)
28 oz can diced tomatoes (the big one)
1.5 Tablespoons of oil
1 onion (diced)
1 zucchini (cubed)
1 yellow squash (cubed)
1 large hass avocado (cubed)
2 pouches of Goya Brand chicken & tomato boullion
1 pouch of Goya Brand chicken bouillon
approximately 6 cups of water (more or less)
fresh cilantro (chopped)

(serving)
tortilla chips
shredded Mexican white cheese

What to do:

Ok, first off, the chicken makes the biggest time difference here and this is probably the only time I ever use chicken breast meat.

Saute the onion.

Slice raw chicken meat into small pieces and add to the pot. Cook until it's no longer pink.

With cooked chicken (leftover or whatnot) pull it apart or shred it - this is ideal, you can also use less oil to cook.

Now, add the water (6 cups) and bring to a boil, then simmer. Add all the bouillon pouches, stir, then bring the soup back to a simmer.

Add the can of diced tomatoes, juices and all - then stir and bring the soup back to a simmer. At this point the simmering time is dependent on the use of raw or cooked chicken. You'll have to make sure the chicken is cooked if you used raw so let the soup simmer for about 10-15 minutes and test the chicken. If you used cooked chicken, just bring the soup up to a boil and then back down to a simmer. Also, taste the broth, if it's too salty, add more water. You may want to taste the broth as you add more ingredients from this point on.

Add zucchini & yellow squash - simmer 3-5 minutes

Add approximately 1/2 a cup of cilantro (more or less depending on taste), simmer 30 secs to 1 minute. Turn off heat and add cubed avocado.

Pour soup in a bowl and add cheese and tortilla chips. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment