Saturday, March 27, 2010

#16: SXSW

So, as I've been mentioning on and off, SXSW was just two weeks ago. I've always seen it as something to do vs. a must do. I've always been more into the music portion oppose to just looking for free booze, though any party that might be good usually has free booze.

I must say, one of the best events I went to During SXSW was the OBEY showcase from 2008.


I tend to listen to a lot of hip hop. I originally went there because I was checking out Flying Lotus' myspace page and found that he was playing SXSW. Freaking awesome! (I just checked his page again and -sigh- I missed him this year :'( ) My assumption was that he'd be playing with like similar acts and really, my assumption was better than anything music map could pull up. I also ended up with a 45' remix copy of the Gaslamp Killer's sample. Overall, an awesome night.

Perhaps it's just me, but after having been in Austin a while, the thought of SXSW is...just tiring. There's just too much to pick from, and then, of course you have to research everything and RSVP to parties. Part of the beauty of SXSW is that you don't have to go to everything, you have choices and you don't have to go to anything. There's something cool about discovering a new cool underground band, there's also something nice about being able to stay home and not feel like you should be out. Been there, done that. And another cool thing:

you could see GWAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment